Zoar was founded in 1817 by P.J. Joubert on the farm Elandsfontein for and on behalf of the South African Missionary Society. The name is derived from the biblical name Zoar. Joubert managed the mission till 1833, and thereafter the management was taken over by two missionaries from the Berlin Missionary Society. In 1843 Zoar was formally taken over by the Berlin Missionary Society. Zoar again changed hands in 1856 and was given back to the South African Missionary Society.
The adjacent property was bought by the Berlin Mission Society and named Amalienstein after the Baroness Amalie von Stein. A church, schools and houses were built.
In 1867 the Berlin Mission Society took over the management for a period of 11 years, after which they finally broke away from Zoar.
Cultivation of apples and figs. Economically no future, except maybe tourism.